Re: 1-TB SATA drive as F9 root/boot drive

At 07:22 PM 9/23/2008, Scott Harvanek wrote:

When you say it won't boot do you mean it gets past grub and hangs? or
does it not even get to grub?
<<<<<

It gets to grub, then about half the time it completes the boot process. The other half, it either hangs or panics.

It's not really important... the only reason I was going to use the SATA drive anyway is it was the only one I had on hand that was a reasonable size... but I then found a 120-GB IDE drive and used that.

The motherboard is a Tyan from back in the early days of on-board SATA controllers so I suppose there could be some bugs in there that ding up Linux's SATA driver. I haven't tried just using it as a second (non-boot) drive on Linux; when I had all this trouble I just reformatted it with NTFS and stuck it in our Windoze server.