Rebuilding and installing kernel

Can someone please point me to the website that has the latest and most correct procedure for buildling and installing new kernel versions from source?

I have seen several versions but they are all subtly (or not so subtly) different, and usually they're for an older version or a different distro. For example, The Linux Kernel HOWTO, which one would expect to be the authoritative document, is dated in 2001. Often they contain caveats like "This worked for me, I don't know if it will work for you".

For example, I have found "How To Compile A Kernel - The Fedora Way" (http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora) that seems to be about as close to up to date as it gets, but even that one is based on Fedora Core 6 and includes the caveat "... this is the way I take. I do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you!".

Back in the day we used to just pile the sources into /usr/src/linux and say "make menuconfig; make; make install; make modules; make modules-install" and that would sort of work, although various things that needed kernel headers to build would then start to complain.

I know I can upgrade the kernel with yum, and that works well, but doesn't help me if I want to make my own kernel modifications and then reinstall everything in a way that is clean and makes sure everything is where it should be.

Bottom line is, I can pick one of the ways I get with google, and hope it works, but if there is a single definitive authoritative canonical site out there that describes The Right Way, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks...