Why is Firefox such a beast??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Sep 24 20:27:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:10:56 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
	[...]
> None of the things you complain about have happened to me in several
> years of using Firefox (basically since version 1), so I'm inclined to
> think it's something in your environment or add-ons.

	Oh good. That's what I wanted to hear : there is hope.

> Have you tried it on a fresh user account with no add-ons, just to
> check?

	No; good idea. I added a user; did su to the user, and invoked
Ffx from the CLI; it came right up -- with all the lousy language cruft
(even though I had just tried to rid it of that as root), but at least
without extensions.

	Just before, as root, I had invoked it from a CLI, and gone after
those languages -- only to find a "disable" button and *NO* uninstall
button on each, even for root.

	In each case, it left a bunch of messages on the CLI, which look
remarkably similar -- and failed to return my command line :

	=====		=====		=====		=====
[root at localhost ~]# GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetMIMEDescription
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x92c1430: NP_GetValue return

=====		=====		=====		=====

	=====		=====		=====		=====
[btth at localhost ~]$ su - FxT
Password:
[FxT at localhost ~]$ firefox &
[1] 20501
[FxT at localhost ~]$ GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetMIMEDescription
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x8b0d430: NP_GetValue return

	So: that's the latest. If, as I hope, the trouble is on my end,
does anybody have an approach to finding it any less tedious than
uninstalling and reinstalling every extension, one by one, on every
machine??

	Are there at least any to be particularly suspicious of?
Extensions more likely than others not to play nice with Fedora, or with
other supposedly compatible extensions?
Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3