Re: Command help?

Bradley wrote:
Instead of rebooting, you could use telinit to change the run level.
It will stop/start services as necessary to match the configuration
for that run level.

Mikkel
Actually, I tried that but for some reason telinit doesn't work
correctly.  It doesn't shut down or start everything it's suppose to
when called up.  I get no errors and I still don't know why.  This is
why I have to reboot.

It's not uncommon for there to be missing "Kxx*" files in one of the
/etc/rc.d/rcX.d directories.  Without them, the system won't stop those
processes.

It SHOULD start everything unless there are some pid files left in
/var/run that indicate the daemon is running when, in reality, it isn't.
For example, if you simply "kill -9 httpd", the /var/run/httpd.pid
file remains in place and a "service httpd start" won't start Apache
since the script thinks it's already running.  Delete /var/run/httpd.pid
and the script will start Apache.
-  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
-                            big enough rock.                        -