Command help?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Sep 26 19:56:43 UTC 2008

Bradley wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> Whoops!  In my previous comment on this, I neglected to mention you
>>> really need to run /etc/rc.d/rc with the desired runlevel to force the
>>> /etc/rc.d/rcX.d stuff to go.  In other words, if you do "telinit 3",
>>> then you should also do "/etc/rc.d/rc 3" after it.
>>>
>> I don't think this is right. AFAIK the change in run level causes the
>> script to be run automatically. Note that on F9 the mechanism is
>> different from on previous Fedoras as it now uses the new upstart
>> system, but a quick look at /etc/event.d/rc3 shows an explicit call to
>> "exec /etc/rc.d/rc 3". (The OP doesn't mention which version of Fedora
>> he has but the new system is set up to emulate the old behaviour).
>>
>> poc
> Well, for all who are interested, I am running FC8 (haven't had time to
> do a full system backup to prepare for FC9) and I have checked all all
> of the K** and S** files are where they are suppose to be but telinit
> doesn't run them all for some reason.  I have chosen to use run level 4
> for the backups and it has all of the K** files but only two S** files
> (the way I want it) but when I run telinit 4, it only "kills" two or so
> and leaves the others running.

After your "telinit 4", have you tried "/etc/rc.d/rc 4"?

AFAIK, telinit does NOT fire up the /etc/rc.d stuff by itself and that's
how the K* and S* stuff get run.
-          Programmers often confuse Halloween and Christmas.        -
-              After all, 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec!              -