Re: Creating a common folder for all users

Steve Repo wrote:
I have a f9 system at home and it is used by me, wife and kids.

Sometimes we want to share files docs, pictures and stuff. Here are my plans,

1. mkdir /fileshare

2. create "share" group

3. add all users this group

4. chmod -R ug+rwx /fileshare

5. chown -R root:share /fileshare

6. for each user, rm -rf /home/<user>/Public

7. for each user, ln -s /fileshare /home/<user>/Public

Whatever they copy to their Public directory, it will be visible by all.

Will this work? Is there a better idea?

In addition to your chmod -R ug+rwx /fileshare command, how about you make the group permissions "stick" to newly created files and directories inside /fileshare?

chmod g+s /fileshare

Note that all users in the share group can then create/modify/delete all files and directories in /fileshare

Note that you are allowing the users to delete the directory /fileshare/ itself as well...

-Jeroen