Desktop AWOL

Hi All,

I run FC2 on one of the machines inside our firewall - I just like the
look and feel of it :-)  Just ten minutes ago, the desktop icons and
facilities disappeared mid-session.  The icons and files on the desktop
vanished, right-click on the desktop doesn't bring up a menu and I'm
stumped.  How do I get it back?  The ~/Desktop directory is still there
with its contents, but isn't being displayed.

What on earth happened?

Jonathan