Re: 32 or 64 bit kernel for Duo T8400 processor ? Can apps be 32 bit for 64 bit kernel ?

Mike Chambers wrote:

A few years ago, I did perform some benchmarks and found that 32-bit apps generally are faster with a 64-bit OS.

I always heard that if you have less than 4Megs Ram, then running 64bit
doesn't take advantage or won't see the Ram anyway, or something to that
affect?  I have dual core athlon with 64bit but only 2megs ram, which
under either/or, they only see 1.8 or 1.9Megs anyway.  So I just stayed
with the 32bit.

I /really/ hope you mean 4GB of RAM and not 4MB. With 32-bit and 4GB RAM you generally won't see all 4B (usually 3.5 to 3.75) with the PAE enabled kernel.

I am personally fond of going 64-bit whether I have 4GB RAM or not, just to keep packages consistent. I can always upgrade my RAM, it's a pain going from 32-bit to 64-bit on the OS side.

My $0.02.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support