fc10 and raid-10

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 29 19:26:00 UTC 2008

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2008 09:32:27 pm Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> The Fedora installer has insisted on requiring four drives for raid-10
>> install, and then not using raid-10, but rather raid-1+0 which is *NOT* the
>> same thing. Any hope that this could be fixed in fc10, as it is a real PITA
>> to fight a way around it and get a proper raid configured.
>>
>> This is a real performance issue, see linux-raid discussion in archives
>> about this.
>>

> Raid 10 requires at least 4 drives. and then it needs even numbers of disks to
> grow.  so you could do 4,6,8,10,12  etc.  an odd disk is should only be used
> as a hot spare.  otherwise it would cause degregation to the array

As I said, raid10 is not the same thing as raid1+0. And since the kernel and
installer use the same term for different things, I would say the install should
match the kernel code and doc, and not have the user confused. Using the correct
term for what the installer really does, raid1+0, would confuse no one.

The man pages for raid and mdadm are helpful in understanding the difference
between 1+0 and 10.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>