Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Sep 29 23:34:40 UTC 2008

On Mon September 29 2008 6:44:00 pm Eric wrote:
> There is one thing I really miss in KDE4... the ability to
> rearrange icons on the desktop by right clicking on the
> desktop and selecting some kind of "arrange icons" capability.
>  I *_REALLY_* miss that.  I cannot understand why they removed
> it.
I think you really don't understand a basic point, here - KDE 4
is not an evolution of KDE from 3, it's a fairly radical re-write
of much of the code from the ground up. The point being, they
didn't start with KDE 3.5 and 'evolve' the code to 4; nothing was
taken out of anything, because they pretty much started afresh.
There are a fair number of sites out there which try to explain
the reasons for this - essentially, the old code-base had built-
in architectural constraints (think fitting a turbo charged
Ferrari race engine into a Model-T chassis). Many features that
were missing in 4.0 are returning in 4.1, but some will never
return because the underlying paradigm is very different, and
there's a new way of doing old things based on a whole new way of
thinking...

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.