Re: 32 or 64 bit kernel for Duo T8400 processor ? Can apps be 32 bit for 64 bit kernel ?

The x86_64 family of chips is not just 64-bit. It also has more registers. Address space is linear rather than segmented. Most desktop users will not notice the difference between 32-bits and 64-bits especially if we have under 4GB of RAM. The bottom line is that a 64-bit Linux OS is generally more efficient than a 32-bit Linux. Linux has been a 64-bit OS for about 14 years, and there are very few reasons to run a 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit chip. Nearly all PC hardware sold today is 64-bit hardware.

The problem we have is twofold. Some developers just don't want to maintain 64-bit and 32-bit versions of their code. I think this will change in the near future now that 64-bit Windows is available for the consumer market.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix