Re: Fresh install Fedora 10 X86_64 problems

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 21:39:11 Jim wrote:

> That doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.
>
> What I'm trying to do is change all directories/files in a   /home/user,
> from one owner/group to another owner/group.
>
> When I installed FC10, fresh install and format the /  partition and
> left the /home partition from the old fedora 8 install
> in place.
> FC10 for some reason change all the directories/files to another user on
> box into a  /home/user.
> I know this sounds confusing but the point,  /home/molly has the wrong
> owner/group on her files.  I have got to get them back to molly:molly in
> /home/molly.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Thanks for your help

What you actually need to do is create the user on the new install with the same
UID. See the "useradd" command; run useradd --help to see options. Log in as
root, or run as /usr/sbin/useradd.

You may have to "shuffle" the user IDs around to make them all the same, see
also the "usermod" command.