Re: How to delete a printer if cups server is down?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 07:14 -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> 2009/4/1 Tim Waugh <twaugh redhat com>
>         Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>                 I tried deleting /var/cache/cups/remote.cache,
>                 but it is always created again, with all the unusable
>                 printers in there.
>

>         ..then those printers aren't coming from where you think they
>         are coming from.
>
>         Tim.
>         */
>

> What I realized is that if the printer is connected to a computer via
> USB,
> it goes away. However, if it is a network printer, with its own IP,
> then it sticks.

I suspect what you say is true since network printers would be picked up
through cups browsing from the printer server.

The solution is really to delete  /var/cache/cups/remote.cache
but the cups process has to be stopped, first. Otherwise,
the same cache is recreated if cups is just restarted.
This cache contains all of the network printers.

Therefore, the solution is:
1) stop cups
2) delete cache
3) start cups

Finally, I got rid of all these ghost printers...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ