Fedora 3, 4 and 6 - Remote Upgrade Advice?

Hiren Joshi josh at moonfruit.com
Thu Apr 2 16:50:40 UTC 2009

If you have access to some VMs (for testing), I would recommend using
kickstart over yum. This is mostly for the initrd issue mentioned below.

You make your installation media available over the network (http or nfs
etc), grab the kernel and initrd from the CD (usually
/isolinux/initrd.img and /isolinux/vmlinuz) then add a grub entry that
looks something like:
title FC kickstart
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz ip=192.168.0.1 gateway=192.168.0.0
dns=192.168.0.0 netmask=255.255.255.0 ksdevice=eth0 hostname=something
ks=http://192.168.0.10/your_kickstart_file.ks keymap=uk
        initrd /initrd.img

and host a kickstart file that looks like:
url --url=http://192.168.0.10/FC9DVD/
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip 192.168.0.1 --netmask
255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.0.0 --nameserver 192.168.0.0 --hostname
something
upgrade

Then reboot =)

Check out the anaconda documentation but this method has worked like a
charm in the past.....