Re: Interactive startup on F10. Pressing "I" doesn't work

Alan Evans wrote:
Craig White wrote:
I find that holding the keys down can be counter-productive. I suspect
that the code discards the buffer contents before looking for a key
press and that's why 'rapid taps' as Anne puts it seems to be the only
method that works.

I would have thought that the key-repeat wouldn't differ functionally
from rapidly tapping the key.

Most computer keyboards transmit to the computer a key down and key up for each key. This is true for modifiers as well (shift, control, etc). The computer decides if you've held the key down long enough to repeat and also determines how fast to repeat the key. Which means if the keyboard buffer is cleared AFTER you've pressed the key the program won't see the key down and therefore won't consider a key as repeating.

In normal use when the buffer is never cleared typing fast and key repeat would be equivalent.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA