kernel modesetting confusion

I'm confused about modesetting support in F10/F11

1. kernel 2.6.29 boasts modesetting finally available
(http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29)
2. F10 uses kernel 2.6.27
3. F10 does modesetting on my radeon x800 (though I end up having to use
nomodeset parameter due to lockups in X)

So what's wrong with this picture? Is it different kind of modesetting?
Is F10 using a pre-release version of it? Something else?