Fedora 3, 4 and 6 - Remote Upgrade Advice?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Apr 3 23:15:40 UTC 2009

Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
> repo, and then follow that with a yum upgrade - rinse, and repeat until
> I'm at FC8 - I'll wait until 11 is in beta before I move forward to FC9.

Not a good plan, FC8 is already no longer updated (not even with security
fixes), and F9 will follow soon. You should upgrade all the way to F10. And
you should also not expect to keep it as long as you kept FC3, you're just
asking for your machine to get broken into by running ancient software with
many known unpatched security issues!

Fedora is designed to be upgraded at least once a year (preferably once
every 6 months), if that's not OK for you, you're using the wrong
distribution.

        Kevin Kofler