Fedora Screen Resolution Won't Go Above 720x400

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Apr 4 00:17:56 UTC 2009

Daniel Blakemore wrote:
> I am new to fedora and to linux in general.  I know a little bit of bash
> because I have a mac but not enough.
> I just installed fedora core 10 i386 netinstall (the dvd-rom drive on
> this computer is thoroughly dead: stops reading and needs to be
> unplugged and plugged back in every thirty of so seconds), on an AMD
> with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 5200 FX.
> When I try to change the resolution, the drop-down only goes to 720x400.
> I tried installing the nvidia driver and it broke X beyond what my linux
> friend can fix.  I did a fresh install and now I have the same problem.
> Please help.

What is your monitor?  Is it Play and Pray compliant?  Does it tell X11
the correct information?

I have no problems getting higher resolutions on my F10 system (with a
Radeon 7000 driver), and a Dell Dimension 4300 using a Live CD.

Which "nvidia" drive did you try and install?  Was it an RPM from
RPMFusion or ATRpms?  Or did you try the nvidia installer?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net