VMware server 2.0 on 64-bit F10

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat Apr 4 18:04:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 21:41 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 21:53 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > Very interesting. I'll try your recommendations and let you know how
> > they worked. Thanks a bunch.
> >
> > --Doc
>
> Following up...  Opening up those four ports solves the logon problem. I
> was able to begin creating a VM for Fedora 11 64-bit, but things ground
> to an absolute halt when it came time to format a 24GB virtual disk. It
> didn't seem to matter whether it was contiguous or in 2GB chunks. That's
> as far as I've been able to proceed. I have no idea if it's a Fedora 10
> problem or a VMware Server 2 problem.
>
> I need to do some more checking to see if I can shut down the vmware
> services without having to use the power button.

That is rather odd - My server VMs are all 25GB or bigger and are as
happy as a clam. Are you reserving all of the space for the disk in
advance or allowing it to grow dynamically?

In my case, I have a single disk file (I find 2GB chunks a pain to
track / move around, and they're really not needed with the newer file
systems). I also usually tend to set them as growable as opposed to
reserving the space in advance. I use that as a crude form of thin
provisioning.

Fortunately, I have not had to reboot servers very often for the
configuration problem. At this point I see it crop up on occasion after
a kernel upgrade, where I'm already going to reboot the box anyway.
Booting it twice at that stage has been more of an annoying
inconvenience than anything else.

Glad the firewall port fix helped!

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw