Yum nit-pick !

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Apr 4 21:31:19 UTC 2009

Hi Todd;

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 15:28 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Just checking to see if others feel the same.  I emphasize this is
> > not a blocker to use.
> >
> > Could yum packages be set up to leave a message in the notification
> > area or on the desk top when something has been downloaded and/or
> > upgraded that requires a re-boot or a re-login.  I recently received
> > a new kernel and a new Evolution library upgrade.  Both required a
> > re-boot.
>
> Really, an Evolution library required a reboot?  That sounds icky.

No.  I was trying to make a longish story short.  What happened if you
are interested; I downloaded a bunch of upgrades using yum.  I wasn't
watching closely but there was something to do with Evolution included
-- perhaps evolution-data-server, perhaps something else.  In any case,
Evolution stopped delivering my mail.  I booted into WindowsXP (see side
bar note in previous post) then back into Fedora.  Voilà -- everything
was working.

> > I have gotten into the habit of re-booting automatically with an new
> > kernel -- but someone new to Linux might not be used to that.
>
> I would think new users should stick with the graphical package update
> tools, which do signal these things.  If a user is comfortable using
> the command line tools, they should generally be able to judge when a
> reboot is required.  If anything, I would think a "reboot suggested"
> message should be in the yum output, where the user is already
> looking, rather than displayed graphically. :)

I saw, incorrectly I guess, PackageKit as some new download system with
some pretty front ends.  I elected to continue to use yum as tried and
true.

> > More importantly to me, is being able to depend on the fact that if
> > no re-boot is signalled, then no re-boot for some new or upgraded
> > program is required.  It just eliminates some FUD when trouble
> > shooting.
>
> I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, since it's up to the maintainer to
> check a box when submitting the update.  That could get missed and
> something that really should get a reboot might not get marked as
> such.

Well, nothing in life is absolutely guaranteed -- but I think the
argument stands.

I haven't seen a re-boot warning yet even for the latest kernel
( 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64) which was downloaded using the
PackageKit icon in my notification area.  Does that mean I didn't have
to re-boot ???

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3