Resizing with gparted for Fedora installation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 5 13:30:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 22:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 14:20 +0300, Rami Rosen wrote:
> > "Similarly  to  other  command  line filesystem resizers, ntfsresize
> > doesn’t  manipulate the size of the partitions, hence to do that you
> > must  use  a disk partitioning tool as well, for example fdisk(8)."
>
> Which is what gparted does for you:  Arrange file system and partition
> resizing, in the right order.  It's a front end for the various command
> that you could issue manually.
>
> I still wonder if anybody's compared speeds to using Windows to defrag
> itself first, versus letting gparted take care of the whole thing.
> Here, Windows 2000 spent several hours defragging a four gig hard drive
> before I had at it with gparted to do the resizing (I didn't find the
> note about not needing to defrag until it was too late, despite looking
> for comments about defragging beforehand).
----
dd is just the tool for replicating fragmented WinNT drives too...you
probably missed an opportunity.

Then again, a 4 Gb HD doesn't leave much space if your going to share
Win2K with Linux. I was there with my Sony C1X, Win2K bit the dust,
defrag problem easily solved.

Craig

believed to be clean.