strange time zone setting

Suddenly, hardware time on my laptop (in the BIOS) has to be set to UTC
time for the time in GNOME can be in CDT (US) time.

I don't know how this happened or how to fix it. I don't see how one can
set the time zone for the BIOS so it is all very myterious.

Any enlightenment out there?
"Just think of a computer as hardware you can program." -- Nigel de la
Tierre