kernel vs kernel-PAE? why yum install kernel does not install kernel-PAE automatically?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 21:35:54 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 4/5/09, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> From: Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> Subject: Re: kernel vs kernel-PAE? why yum install kernel does not install kernel-PAE automatically?
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Sunday, April 5, 2009, 1:28 PM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @
> 2.40GHz
>
> That's a 64-bit CPU, you should be running 64-bit
> Fedora rather than 32-bit
> Fedora on it.
Did not know that :(, thought that only regular x86_32 instead of x86_64 was what I needed.  On other machines at home which have AMD 64 processor, I installed the x86_64 versions of Fedora either Fedora 10 or rawhide.

> > I also want to know if I get nvidia driver, how does
> it fare with PAE
> > kernels?
>
> As far as I know no better or no worse than with non-PAE
> kernels, you just
> need to make sure you use the -PAE variant of the kmod.
>
> > [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your
> video card available.
> > [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support
> and read
> > [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
> > [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other
> (non-xv) video out drivers.
> > [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
> >
> > .., I have asked for a bit of help and they recommend
> that I get nvidia
> > driver, I have not used nvidia drivers since Fedora
> Core 4, but I got good
> > performance back then might help now?
>
> You may want to try the "nouveau" driver, it has
> some 2D acceleration
> support. "nouveau" will replace "nv" as
> the default for NVidia hardware in
> Fedora 11.
nouveau driver was the default but it did not cut it, mplayer would complain that the machine was too slow to play it :(, and I also got a kernel panic :( to top that off.