initdefault has no effect

I have /etc/inittab set up as follows, but the system always starts with
the X Window System running.  What am I missing?

Thanks - jon

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
# id:5:initdefault:
id:1:initdefault: