Re: serious virtualization without HW support?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  i'm reading the section on CPU virtualization extensions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Quick_Start

and it occurs to me to ask whether anyone would want to get
*seriously* into virtualization without having machines with those
extensions.

  is it safe to say that, by now, most modern systems come with VT or
AMD-V support?  and by "serious" virtualization, i don't mean someone
downloading and goofing around with it, i mean people who want to set
up virtual corporate servers or mission-critical stuff.

  thoughts?

For running Linux machines, there's nothing wrong with using xen, and it probably runs faster than hardware virtualization. For non-Linux I would pass on emulation.

There's nothing wrong with it, I know a few web hosting operations which still use xen. If Fedora supported xen I would probably use it on some available hardware, I just don't feel like going back to the days of building and updating my own kernels all the time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>