Editor to program in C

Armin amoradi at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 6 19:17:34 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 08:45:23 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 04/04/2009 06:56 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am starting to learn how to program in C, and I am looking for a
> > proper editor for that. Do you recommend Kate to me? Or is there
> > something better?
>
> Time for me to chime in. I have been using EMACs for C and C++
> development for 25 years, and vi even longer. While there are other good
> editors, I specifically like emacs (and xemacs) because it innately
> knows about make and source control. I work on a system that has over 1
> million lines of code (mostly C++).  Note only is there syntax coloring,
> but it matches parentheses and curly braces. It also can be set for
> automatic indentation (K&R style is the default). Additionally, emacs
> supports multiple windows. You can have them line up horizontally or
> vertically. Normally, when I do a compile, the compilation results are
> displayed in a windows. In addition, the dired feature sets emacs to
> behave like a file manager. Additionally, I routinely to finds and
> greps. Yes, emacs is not easy to lean, but it is extremely rich, has
> modes for most computer languages as well as HTML and XML. While I
> certainly am set in my ways, I could not practice my profession as a
> software engineer without emacs. But, I don't want to belittle vi and
> vim. I use vi especially when accessing files on a non-local server.

I also has a speedbar which has helped me work on many files at once.

You can download Emacs 23.0 (development version, but pretty fonts!) from
here:

http://rpm.bradmwalker.com/

add the repository (download and install bmw-release-1-1.fc10.noarch.rpm) and
install emacs:

$ yum install emacs

and run it:

$ emacs