Re: initdefault has no effect

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 12:30 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Mike Burger wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Hummm....  Bad news....

I had to test this and have in the intttab file....

#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
; id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

And the system still comes up in run level 5.

Yet the fact remains, ; had no more effect than #.  If you don't trust
the test that I did, you can do it yourself in order to prove it.
----
I've done nothing to study the code but it seems consistent with the way
chkconfig also derives the runlevels from the initscripts. It leads to a
guess that there is just a quick & dirty type grep for the first result
and run with it.

In the case of chkconfig, the file it's examining is a shell script, and
the parameter lines have to be marked as shell comments.  That's not the
case with inittab.

                Do NOT delete it.