Need help with Reboot cause

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Tue Apr 7 21:07:18 UTC 2009

PS = Pete Stieber
PS>> This is going to sound vague, but here goes...
PS>>
PS>> I have a dual opteron system that has been acting as the
PS>> worldly node for a small cluster of computers since
PS>> September, 2004.  The machine is running the latest
PS>> x86_64 Fedora 10 kernel that I recently loaded (April
PS>> 2).  The machine reboots without warning.  I can't find
PS>> the cause in log files (maybe I'm not looking in the
PS>> correct log).
PS>>
PS>> I'm currently running memtest.  If all of the tests pass,
PS>> could the community suggest other diagnostic tasks or
PS>> information I could post to help diagnose the problem?
PS>>
PS>> I wish I could be more specific

AF = Aldo Foot
AF> I had a similar problem with a machine. It would reboot
AF> and go through several reboots before it would give me
AF> a login screen. Then it would crash without warning. It
AF> was a bad memory module; the machine would boot fine
AF> with one, but not with two modules.
AF> If you have more than one memory module test by using
AF> one at a time. Maybe memtest will give some info.

I have been using the same memory in the machine since 2004.  I ran
memtest for one complete test cycle and didn't get any error reports.  I
know I should let it run longer, but I'm trying a couple of other tests...

1. Removed a Belkin OmniView PRO2 4-Port KVM switch (F1DA104T)
2. Didn't start my samba server

and I'm having better luck.  I'll report back either way.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Pete