Chown ???

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Wed Apr 8 14:15:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:11:49PM +0000, g wrote:
> not to argue a point, but.
>
> 'su' is 'substitute user' as you can substitute to *any* 'user' or 'group', not just 'root user'.
> you are a 'super user' if you you become 'root' or 'adm'.

Bzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.

I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
"superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
stuff, but it's not authentic.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat