Re: Chown ???

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:11:49PM +0000, g wrote:
not to argue a point, but.

'su' is 'substitute user' as you can substitute to *any* 'user' or 'group', not just 'root user'.
you are a 'super user' if you you become 'root' or 'adm'.

Bzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.

I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
"superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
stuff, but it's not authentic.

...and I've been at this since the 70's and always thought it was "switch user". Can't recall where I first picked that up (getting old and forgetful don't ya know) but if you think about it that's certainly a more appropriate name for su as it is used to switch from one user to another, not just to the superuser.
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign