Re: Chown ???

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 15:21 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I was at BTL in the very early '80s.  Writing kernel mods and drivers
> > for Unix, and teaching Unix internals to BTL employees.  It's always been
> > "superuser".  I don't know where anyone got this lame "substitute user"
> > stuff, but it's not authentic.
>
> To quote the V7 manual page
>
> -su  \-  substitute user id temporarily
>

> So although a lot of people believe su is superuser, they are wrong.

As I said already, 'su' *was* 'superuser', but it changed. My first Unix
system was 5th Edition, circa 1975, and I definitely remember it this
way. In fact that version of 'su' didn't even take an argument.

I can't find a 5th Edition manual on line, but the screenshot below is
from su(8) in the 6th Edition and corroborates what I'm saying.

Cheers

poc