[Request] Language support packages not installed by default

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Apr 8 21:25:23 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Beartooth wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 04:27:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
>>     [....]
>>> It's really only the installer that needs to have multi-lingual support
>>> right from the get-go, to ask you what languages to use.  An installed
>>> system only needs the languages that you actually need.
>>
>>     Good point! All the more reason not to include umpteen bazillion
>> of them as defaults anywhere else.
>
> Would you communicate that to the Mozilla gang as well? :-)
>
> Having all those ruddy language packs reinstalled every time Firefox or
> Thunderbird gets updated is OK on my desktops with drives >500GB, but
> they suck up too much space on my Aspire One.  I delete them just to
> have them reappear on every bloody update.  Grrrr!

Hi Rick!

It may be worse than you think.  While I work I leave the
Firefox->Tools->JavaScript_Console open.

It seems that Firefox calls home daily or perhaps shortly after being
launched.  The javascript console reports, one by one, that each and
every language pack is being/has been updated.

[as I freak out-->what else are you doing?  aaaaargh]