Re: Chown ???

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 17:24 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
As I said already, 'su' *was* 'superuser', but it changed. My first Unix
system was 5th Edition, circa 1975, and I definitely remember it this
way. In fact that version of 'su' didn't even take an argument.
That makes sense - so it changed description in v7 when the command
itself changed entirely.

Exactly.

poc

Rather full mailbox tonight. That being said, good to hear earlier sources which can make a point both ways. Technical implementation and linguistic usage don't always have to follow one another.

Of course, I can't resist noting that this forum has pointed me to information that GNOME display manager logins as root are disallowed in f10 unless one overrides (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_Root_User_For_GNOME_Display_Manager). So, though Linux per Fedora may say it is now "switch user", the access to be "super-user" is now through "su" or "sudo" and I wouldn't be surprised if "su to root" will be thought of as Fedora's way to become "super-user".

Have to find my copy of DP Devil's Dictionary to see what it says ...

Paul