[Request] Language support packages not installed by default

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 9 13:44:59 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
 >Beartooth wrote:
 > > On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 04:27:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
 > > 	[....]
 > >
 > > 	Good point! All the more reason not to include umpteen bazillion
 > > of them as defaults anywhere else.

 >Would you communicate that to the Mozilla gang as well? :-)

 >Having all those ruddy language packs reinstalled every time Firefox or
 >Thunderbird gets updated is OK on my desktops with drives >500GB, but
 >they suck up too much space on my Aspire One.  I delete them just to
 >have them reappear on every bloody update.  Grrrr!

It looks like the actual langpack files are in /usr/lib/firefox-x.y.z.
You can try deleting them, then 'touch' the filename to create a zero
byte file, then make the file immutable with 'chattr +i'. That might
crash the update process, though.
And if it is a major update to firefox, it creates a new firefox-x.y.zz
folder, so it won't help in that case.

Geoff