Chown ???

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 9 15:49:56 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Maybe he was talking about an Altair 8008. Intel 8080 processor,
>>> S-100 bus, front panel with status and data LEDs. Address/data
>>> toggle switches, and a few control toggles.
>>>
>> No, an Altair 8800 (from MITS...Micro Instrumentation Telemetry
>> Systems).  IMSAI had the IMSAI 8080 (from IMS Associates, Inc.).  Bet
>> you didn't know the actual names of the companies, did ya?  :-)
>>

> I did at one time, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. (At
> one time, I could even toggle in the paper tape loader in binary
> from memory.)
>

>> The Altair's front panel was set up with toggle switches in an octal
>> (3-switch gang) format on a metal front panel.  The IMSAI had   paddle-
>> style switches (a'la PDP-11s) in a hex (4-switch gang) format on a
>> Plexiglass front panel.  I had both machines, along with a Processor
>> Tech SOL-20 and a PolyMorphic Systems' Poly-88
>>

> The kit I had had SPST toggle switches for data/addresses. The lower
> 8 address switches were also used for entering 8 bit data. Things
> like deposit/deposit next were SPDT center off spring-loaded
> toggles. The If I remember right, the run/stop/step was
> spring-loaded for step, but not for run. There were LEDs for data,
> address, and status. The front panel was tied into the S-100
> backplane. The CPU had its own S-100 card. The memory was another
> S-100 card, and I/O was a third card.
>

>> They all had Intel 8080 or 8080A CPUs (well, the SOL-20 had an AMD
>> 9080).  All were S-100 bus format.  The Altair had an 18-slot
>> motherboard (in separate 4-slot chunks you had to jumper together with
>> INDIVIDUAL wires), the IMSAI had a single, 22-slot motherboard.  The
>> Poly-88 had a single 6-slot motherboard, the SOL-20 had a 4-slot
>> expansion S-100 expansion bus (the CPU and all I/O were on the main
>> board, similar to what we have now).  All of them were kits (I melted a
>> HELL of a lot of solder back in those days).
>>

>>> Toggle in the paper tape loader in binary. Then load the system
>>> monitor/program from paper tape. I remember loading an assembler
>>> from paper tape, and then feeding the program source from another tape.
>>>
>> I had several different EPROM boards with primitive monitor programs
>> (think the old ODT program on DEC PDP-11s)
>>

> At that time, EPROMs and EPROM programmers were beyond my budget. It
> was all I could do to afford the 4k memory card. (That changed
> later...)
>
> Mikkel

Yeah, and the 4k memory card cost close to a $100, I can remember when
2102 1k x1 memory chip cost a $1.00 each.
I built myself a S100 8k memory board from scratch , (8 chips across and
8 rows down)with all gold plated ceramic chips , you could buy the blank
S100 memory boards and populate them  yourself.
My last S100 memory board i built up was a 64k ram board, with low
powered CMOS memory and I still have it.
I need to find me a Computer Museum so I can donate some of the stuff
I'm still carrying around.