samba printer sharing broken?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Apr 11 00:59:36 UTC 2009

I've got a printer on my fedora 10 system which is supposedly
shared in smb.conf. I could print to it from Windows XP the
last time I tried (which was probably back in fedora 8
days the last time I did my taxes with Windows software :-).

I wanted to print my stoopid taxes from Windows today and
found that samba shared printers no longer seem to work.

I did finally get the printer to work on Windows XP by
using the CUPS printer interface instead to define the
printer on Windows, but I was just curious if anyone knows
if there is known problems with samba printing?

(I don't have selinux turned on, and I have iptables
set to allow all traffic on the local 192.168.1.0/24
network, so I can't see either of them being the problem).

Here's the smb.conf printers sections I've copied from release
to release over the years:

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba