Fedora 3, 4 and 6 - Remote Upgrade Advice?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 11 19:30:56 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
>> repo, and then follow that with a yum upgrade - rinse, and repeat until
>> I'm at FC8 - I'll wait until 11 is in beta before I move forward to FC9.
>
> Not a good plan, FC8 is already no longer updated (not even with security
> fixes), and F9 will follow soon. You should upgrade all the way to F10. And
> you should also not expect to keep it as long as you kept FC3, you're just
> asking for your machine to get broken into by running ancient software with
> many known unpatched security issues!
>
> Fedora is designed to be upgraded at least once a year (preferably once
> every 6 months), if that's not OK for you, you're using the wrong
> distribution.

My thought is that you are definitely running the wrong distribution, and
something like CentOS-5.3 would be a vastly better choice for something like
colocation, with everything dead stable but security updates available. Fedora
is a work of art, but occasionally the artist feels like Picasso instead or
DaVinci, and an upgrade may introduce issues best avoid for a remote machine.

I would definitely plan a reinstall rather than an upgrade, for several reasons
including not pulling a lot of upgrade info over the net which will be replaced
later. That's more considerate, more likely to succeed, and faster.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>