Re: Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Frank Cox wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:51:58 -0700
Hugh Caley wrote:

Sometime after opening Firefox 3 in Fedora 10 it will start grabbing 90% of the CPU until it is closed again. I am running FlashBlock but that only seems to delay the time somewhat until the cpu goes to 90%.

Is there nothing else that can be done about this? If Adobe won't fix the problem, don't we have to do something?

What does Adobe have to do with Firefox?

They build plugins for Firefox. Flash or Adobe reader are the two most popular. Both seem to have problems causing Firefox to become resource hogs. The work arounds are to find other tools to handle the task (like xpdf instead of adobereader, etc). I've not have good luck with the free Flash replacements though.

If your problem is with websites that use Flash, then it's a Flash issue, not a
Firefox issue.  Do you have still the problem when you don't use those
websites?  What if you remove the Flash plugin from your Firefox installation?
Does the problem go away?

If your problem is with Flash and not with Firefox, then are you using the
32-bit or 64-bit version of Flash?  Does it happen only with the Flash stuff on
one particular website, or with several?  Do you still see the problem on
commonly-used Flash sites like youtube?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com