Question about update of clamav

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Tue Apr 14 13:40:46 UTC 2009

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On Monday, Apr 13th 2009 at 15:34 -0000, quoth James Kosin:
>
> =>Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:34:01
> =>From: James Kosin <jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com>
> =>To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
> =>    <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> =>Subject: Re: Question about update of clamav
> =>
> =>Steven W. Orr wrote:
> =>> When I tried to update clamav using yum, it told me that I'm up to date.
> =>> I've got 0.94.2 and .95 is out. Should I expect this to be available
> =>> soon or how would this work?
> =>>
> =>Questions:
> =>a)  What version of fedora? 8, 9, 10?
> =>b)  0.95 made significant changes to milter.  This may be the cause for
> =>the delay.  And there is no real threat for using 0.94.2 other than not
> =>being the latest release.
> =>
> =>James
>
> Thanks. I am running F10 but I never really understood what the purpose of
> the milter is. I am running with both the clamav milter as well as
> spamass-milter. The spamass-milter rejects the mail before reception
> completes. I'm not really sure what the clamav milter does. A very small
> percentage of my email is caught by clamav and when it happens, I get the
> message with some indicator that the virus was removed.
>
> Also, I asked about all this because it complains so loudly when it starts
> and when the nightly logs are run.

clamav-milter is a mail filter that tries to scan incoming/outgoing mail
for viruses and other threats in the mail.  Clamav-Milter though doesn't
remove a virus, it should be stopping the mail message completely.  If
you are seeing a message saying the virus was removed then either you
are misreading the message or you have some other source scanning your
email for you as well.
I know it complains very LOUD when this happens.  My system has been
complaining for months now, but I finally took the plunge and managed to
get the clamav package the rework needed to get everything working.
I've been using FC1 since it came out and have been maintaining the
packages on the box for many years.

I'd give it a few more weeks or so before giving up hope though on the
community having a 0.95.1 release ready.

If you get tired, you can try the source package here to compile and
test on your system.  Though I'd keep a backup of the installation you
have, just in case.
http://support.intcomgrp.com/mirror/fedora-core/beta/src/clamav-0.95.1-0.0.fc1.src.rpm

James Kosin