F9 (KDE 4.0) seems like such a long time ago... F10 (KDE 4.2.1) rocks !

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:39:31 UTC 2009

2009/4/15 Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>:
> Is it just me or does it seem like eons ago that we were running F9,
> stuck with a partially working KDE 4.0, longing for KDE 3.5.x ?
>
> Now there is no way I would ever consider going back to KDE 3.5.
>
> I can't believe how good KDE 4.2.1 is.  I don't think I've ever had a
> better working "window manager".  (I really want to say "OS" there as
> that is true as well...)
>
> F10/KDE 4.2.1 is rock solid and fully functional for me.
>
> There are a few little things that could be improved, like a GUI
> interface for the synaptic touch pad on my laptop and better web page
> rendering in Konqueror, but other than that, its totally beautiful.
>
> What a joy it is to use F10/KDE 4.2.1 !
>
> And it seems it will only get better... KDE 4.2.2, using Qt4.5 is
> expected to be released into stable next week.  And F11 has been
> frozen !  The goodness never stops !
>
> The initial release of KDE4.0 was one heck of a blow to my day to day
> work habits.  Those were darn dark days.   I thought they were never
> going to end.  Now the sun is out and shining brightly with only clear
> skies and gentle breezes in the forecast.  We've arrived !
>
> I am one happy Fedora user.
>
> Keep up the good work.

Nice to hear that it is working well for other people, too.

I'd also like to give my thanks to the Fedora KDE maintainers. Ever
since Fedora 9 was released with KDE 4.0.x, I have considered Fedora's
KDE 4 implementation the best there is available. Of course there were
problems, especially with the 4.0 series, but now that we have the
well working and feature rich KDE 4.2, backported to stable releases,
I think the trouble has really paid off.

It seems probable that the current situation wouldn't be as good as it
is now if Fedora hadn't adopted KDE 4.0 as early as it did. Including
KDE 4.0 in Fedora 9 is one of the most visible Fedora decisions for
me. It has encouraged me to use and discover KDE 4, as well as ensured
that I could do that on Fedora and not some other distribution.

Thanks, all the people who have made this possible.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com