Slow install w/ kvm

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 01:49:17 UTC 2009

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Using kvm-74-10.fc10.x86_64, tried an install of Xp sp3 x86 from
> an iso and a floppy image with a sif file all writing to a file
> based disc image. The install portion of copying files took forever
> and a day.
>
> The host is a recent quad core with 5gigs of ram, is this normal
> for kvm?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

Last I checked (year or more ago) it was a known bug (I think
ACPI-related). In short, Windows makes some special system calls during
install - they supposedly speed up installation on raw hardware, but
slow down by a lot on virtual machines. Workaround was to disable ACPI
during install... or something to that effect