sound broken on Asus mobo with intel hda

lspci shows:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Pulse volume control shows an "HDA Intel - VT1708B Analog" though Pulse is currently disabled, by removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and kde-settings-pulseaudio

I've tried deleting /etc/asound.conf as suggested in some searches

If I run Alsamixer it shows the card as "HDA Intel" and the chip as "VIA VIA VT1708B 8-ch" - does this make sense?

Is there a list of all files that pertain to sound configuration and is it possible to delete same and let the hardware detection re-initialize my sound card? I don't even know if I am making sense...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA