Re: Slow install w/ kvm

Konstantin Svist wrote:
Joseph L. Casale wrote:
Using kvm-74-10.fc10.x86_64, tried an install of Xp sp3 x86 from
an iso and a floppy image with a sif file all writing to a file
based disc image. The install portion of copying files took forever
and a day.

The host is a recent quad core with 5gigs of ram, is this normal
for kvm?

Thanks!
jlc

Last I checked (year or more ago) it was a known bug (I think
ACPI-related). In short, Windows makes some special system calls during
install - they supposedly speed up installation on raw hardware, but
slow down by a lot on virtual machines. Workaround was to disable ACPI
during install... or something to that effect

The other possibility is that the /dev/kvm doesn't have the right permissions and the VM was run as a normal user, in emulation mode rather than hardware assist. YMMV.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>