Slow install w/ kvm

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Apr 16 16:46:15 UTC 2009

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> Using kvm-74-10.fc10.x86_64, tried an install of Xp sp3 x86 from
>> an iso and a floppy image with a sif file all writing to a file
>> based disc image. The install portion of copying files took forever
>> and a day.
>>
>> The host is a recent quad core with 5gigs of ram, is this normal
>> for kvm?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> jlc
>>

> Last I checked (year or more ago) it was a known bug (I think
> ACPI-related). In short, Windows makes some special system calls during
> install - they supposedly speed up installation on raw hardware, but
> slow down by a lot on virtual machines. Workaround was to disable ACPI
> during install... or something to that effect

Yes, a known problem with XP on lots of hardware.  That is why there is
an undocumented 'feature' in the install process to turn of acpi.

When you see the prompt to press F6 to load additional drivers, press
F7.  This will turn off those pesky checks.

Also, if  the system is already up, change the computer device setting
to 'Standard PC'.

Good Luck!