Re: indirect nx access?

I'm going to recommend that you check out the following key words, dynamic dns, ssh tunnels and freenx client. Throw them in the mix, configure and job done. I could be more specific, but where is the lesson in that?? :)

------Original Message------
From: Dave Stevens
Sender: fedora-list-bounces redhat com
To: fedora-list redhat com
ReplyTo: Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora.
Sent: 17 Apr 2009 04:30
Subject: indirect nx access?

Hi,

I don't understand how to access my workstation when I'm travelling.

I have two computers on a router that has a routable address. Port 22
and 80 are forwarded to a small underpowered computer hosting a dozen
web sites. I can remotely access the cli there using ssh and check for
updates and look at the load, which is pretty much all I ever want to
do on that computer. Then while logged in on that machine I can ssh to
my own workstation which is also on 192.168.0 and get a cli there. But
that is almost useless, because I really want to use an x session on
that machine so I can check my mail (kmail on F7). I can easily run
freenx server on my station but I don't see how I can get in through
the publicly accessible machine and tunnel into my station. I
basically can not change the server and it doesn't have the horsepower
to run a freenx session without seriously degrading the response times
for its users.

So ideally I'd pack around a usb memory stick with a copy of the !m
client and then somehow indirectly access my station from some
internet cafe. It seems to me that if I can do it with ssh it should
be possible to get an x session that way too but I don't know how.

Ideas? stuff to read?

TIA

Dave