Bouts of Extreme System Slug

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Fri Apr 17 23:11:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:11:24AM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 09:56 -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> > Apparently, my problem was heating related. My laptop is sitting on
> > a table with an uneven plastic table cloth, and since I raised it
> > slightly up from the table by putting bottle caps under the rear feet,
> > I have not experienced any problems any more.
>
> It strikes me that many laptops are designed very badly.  They feet are
> too small (you can buy bigger adhesive rubber feet from electronic
> stores, so you can do a neat upgrade), and they put the vents on the
> bottom instead of the side (making it nearly impossible to actually use
> some on your lap).w

I have taken to keeping an inexpensive kitchen cutting board  under
my laptops.  I have used bottle caps on occasion when I wanted to run a
long running big "job" on it to improve the air flow for overnight stuff.
A thin cutting board or chunk of plywood makes a big difference in keeping
the air inlet and exit unobstructed.  And yes larger feet help too.

These new dual+ core processor +2GB RAM laptops are serious computers...
They mostly all do suffer from thermal management problems and dial back
to a crawl to stay cool enough.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?