Strategy for yum to install from DVD without network?

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:38:19 UTC 2009

I am hoping for feedback on my overall strategy, or small tips, and if
the list can reassure me that the concept is not misguided then I can
explore the details myself.

BACKGROUND

I hope to reduce the number of unused packages in my next Fedora
install. I use it for desktop, plus gaining experience with software
development and Linux admin.

1) I have only poor quality (typically 36kbit/s) dialup internet access;

so my current use experience is:

2) Initially install Fedora packages from DVD;

3) Minimise internet updates. I prefer yum command line. I am aware of
presto but have not tried it yet.

Previously with F9 anaconda install I specified "desktop" and
"software development" options. Looking at the package options
presented, I was afraid to remove packages I don't comprehend in fear
of breaking something essential. But I suspect I don't use many of
them.

The problem with installing all those packages is that update
notifications become useless because there is just too much to
download. So next time (F11) I would like to try installing packages
only on a needs basis, but I'm uncertain how best to achieve this
under the above constraints (1,2,3).

PROPOSAL

I imagine it might be achieved like this, without any internet
connection, on a standalone box:

4) *Somehow in anaconda or kickstart specify a minimal install off the
DVD, to get a bootable F11.

5) With the goal of minimising DVD access to improve speed, *somehow
create a local yum repository by copying all DVD files onto the local
filesystem. This repo will never be updated, just used for installs.
Do I need to use createrepo here?

6) Use yum to install required packages, with only their dependencies.
Is it correct that baseurl=file:// will configure yum to read the
local files directly without needing any server?

So I'm wondering if this overall strategy appears reasonable, and will
be grateful for any answers and/or tips at the 2 points marked
"*somehow". Thanks.