What's the difference between /etc/init.d and /sbin/service

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 18 14:57:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 22:32 +0800, Nathan Huang wrote:
> Hi guys
> I face a problem, What 's the difference between these two commands?
>
> [mirandam at charon ~]$ su -c '/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop'
>
> [mirandam at charon ~]$ |su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start
----
assuming that the | character was a type and that you put a single quote
at the end of the second statement, the difference would be that the
first statement stops NetworkManager daemon and the second one starts
it.

/sbin/service $SOME_initscript_located_in_/etc/init.d/ and
/etc/init.d/$SOME_initscript are essentially the same

Craig

believed to be clean.