Re: What's the difference between /etc/init.d and /sbin/service

Craig White wrote:
On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 22:32 +0800, Nathan Huang wrote:
Hi guys
I face a problem, What 's the difference between these two commands?

[mirandam charon ~]$ su -c '/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop'

[mirandam charon ~]$ |su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start
----
assuming that the | character was a type and that you put a single quote
at the end of the second statement, the difference would be that the
first statement stops NetworkManager daemon and the second one starts
it.

/sbin/service $SOME_initscript_located_in_/etc/init.d/ and
/etc/init.d/$SOME_initscript are essentially the same

Craig

   Hi Craig
we can stop NetworkManager from typing '/sbin/service NetworkManager stop' Why we can also stop NetworkManger from /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop? What's the difference between these two places?
thanks
nathan