Fedora 10 incorrect "no network connection"

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:45:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 10:31 -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> Usually I ssh into my Linux machine and use the CLI but sometimes I do
> log on from the attached keyboard/screen. In those cases, every time I
> start Firefox, it starts in offline mode. There is also an icon in
> the toolbar that says "no network connection", even though there is.
> It's wired.
>
> When I use the Firefox option to turn off "offline mode",
> everything is fine, until I close/restart Firefox.
>
> And the network connection works fine... I can always connect from
> other machines via ssh, connect to it's web server etc...
>
> What can I do to correct whatever it is that's reporting "no network
> connection"?

This can happen if you're running NetworkManager but haven't configured
it to manage your connection. Some apps, including Firefox and
Evolution, think that because NM thinks it's not online it should be
believed.

The fix is either to not use NM, or to tell it to manage the connection.
To do the latter, run system-config-network, run Edit on the interface
line and tick the box that says "Controlled by NetworkManager".

poc